Enjoying today, reflecting on yesterday and dreaming of tomorrow ...

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A friend of the night

I haven't slept well of late.

It's been two weeks now.

My friend, Insomnia, is back and I am not sure when she will leave.

She is a friend who requires no invitation; she enters your night-time world and keeps you company until your eyelids can no longer hold themselves open. Sleep comes only for a few hours before the early morning light brings with it your need to attend to the daily routine.

If you've never had her arrive on your doorstep, then you may become agitated and try to shut her out. But it is of no use, she is quite determined to keep you company. In fact, she knows you need her company.

If you're used to her unexpected visits, then you'll find yourself welcoming her in and immediately finding out why she has come. The sooner you figure this out, the sooner she will leave. And the sooner your inner peace will return.

This time she is here to sort out my worries. I do not let my conscious worry, so it is left to my sub-conscious to deal with them and that is why Insomnia is here. She is helping my sub-conscious make to-do lists. When the day ends they stay up late to tick off the completed tasks and highlight outstanding ones, as well as examining how to restore the balance.

Today has been a good day though.

Today the to-do list has decreased in size. And my sub-conscious has allocated a time for when the oustanding tasks can be completed.

Yes, today has been a good day.

Will I see Insomnia tonight? I do not know. I do not worry. She will come if there are more things to be organised. She is a friend. A friend of the night. And I am sure to see her again.

4 comments:

  1. I Hope you get some great sleep.I am glad today was a good day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Tara. I have had trouble sleeping the past months, so it was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda,
    I hope you've found your own source of understanding for your sleep pattern :))
    Wishing you much joy over the festive season, Tara

    ReplyDelete