Enjoying today, reflecting on yesterday and dreaming of tomorrow ...

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Living with gratitude

Just over a year ago a little boy lost his life-long battle with cancer. He was 18 months of age. For two months I had been following his story from the amazingly detailed and brave words of his Mother ... when he needed to be rushed to hospital I couldn't keep my mind off him and his family; when blood test results returned with such positive news I became overjoyed and optimistic; and when sudden news came of his final days I was deeply shocked and truly devastated.

This event shook up the way I viewed my life and my family. My determination to live every day with gratitude became a priority.

I am not a person who believes we need to compare our lives to those less fortunate in order to be grateful. My memories as a child of being told there were starving children in Africa did not influence the way I felt about those cold broad beans on my plate. Instead, I became sad about the existence such hungry children.

What I do believe is that each person's issues and concerns are just as valid and real as the next. Instead, it is how we allow these issues and concerns to control our thoughts and behaviour that determines our attitude to life. Friends of ours have a unique way to express their gratitude on a daily basis. As they gather together to enjoy a family dinner, each member is asked to examine their day and state what it is they are grateful for. My family shared this experience on one occasion and found it to be very positive and uplifting.

Recently an event occurred whereby my trust and respect for an integral person in my life was seriously damaged. As I parked my car in the car park the following morning, I was focused on trying to hide my hurt and disappointment. Suddenly I noticed a bird no more than 2 metres away from me. I watched as a pink-and-grey galah eyed me briefly before continuing to dance its way along a path, cheerily picking up seeds as it went. This simple pleasure enabled me to walk through the door I had been dreading to do just minutes earlier and I braved another day.

My thoughts remain with Blake's family as they come to grips with life without their precious boy. Today, I am grateful for the reminder that each day is a blessing and to make the most of what you have ...

All my love, Tara ❤❤❤

2 comments: