Enjoying today, reflecting on yesterday and dreaming of tomorrow ...

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Perspective


Perspective is an amazing thing ...

It is a thing required by artists, such as photographers, painters and architects. But perspective is also a thing that normal, every-day people require too -- we just don't always know it.

Whilst some people dwell on whether their outfit makes them look fat or not, whether their hair is too frizzy or dull, or whether their house is perfect like in magazines ... others dwell on whether they will be able to feed their family, whether they will find the strength to get out of bed because of depression, or whether they will survive the beating or verbal abuse likely to come their way.

However, perspective can be elusive. Often it is gained once a struggle or difficulty has been surpassed -- such that one can look back over recent events and realise the insignificance of it all. Should one feel guilty? I don't think so. Yet, the event can be filed for future reference in order prevent a loss of perspective under similar circumstances.

I am constantly reminded of the importance of perspective. Last week I enjoyed a wonderful few days away with my two children ... we read books, played games, went shopping, collected shells, stayed up late and snuggled in bed until the sun shone through the window. It was bliss. I realised the long, hard grind of recent months ensuring the girls were well nourished, rested, educated and challenged now paved the way for us to relax and strengthen our bond under more joyful circumstances. Thus, I realised that although learning is important ... so is relaxation and family unity. There is need to make time for both.

As two of my closest friends are currently dealing with the reality of a parent with terminal cancer, I know the importance of keeping perspective about my day-to-day dramas. Like the fact that I spent 40 minutes this morning herding a run-away cat back into its owner's house! Grrrr. And I would dearly love to take away the mental anguish my two friends are suffering, but I know the importance of having someone simply be there to listen or to hug or to just be with ...

Today, I can look back over the de-railment of my own life over the last three years (due to grief upon the loss of my grandmother) and make this experience assist me to be the best supportive friend I can be. In addition, I can use a sense of perspective to realise recent disappointments will not prevent me from successfully moving along my chosen path. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment