Enjoying today, reflecting on yesterday and dreaming of tomorrow ...

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Making a difference

Upon arriving home to Australia in 2002 (after an absence of a year or so), my body, mind and soul were exhausted and in pain. A kind person said to me "you've done your bit to help others, now leave it to others to do their bit" ... Although I knew I could not have continued physically, I had not been emotionally or mentally ready to go!


The previous month I had received Valium injections on a daily basis just to complete my work contract in East Africa. The medication helped take the edge off the searing pain that lurked within my abdomen, both day and night. So quickly had it become part of my morning routine that I had mentally apportioned 5 minutes for the whole process to be completed and could resume normal organisational activities almost as soon as the needle was withdrawn from my body. I have no idea how others around me viewed this procedure, especially the two people sent over to replace me!

As for the pain that continues to live in my heart, I am not so sure how to cure that! The feeling remains that my personal contribution to this part of the world is incomplete. Somehow I feel drawn to the people, to the country and to fulfill a need to come back and further contribute to their well-being. Although I do remember the first reaction to me walking about in the village ... the wide-eyed howl of a small child and his frenzied scamper to hide behind his mother's skirt. It was only later that I found out the villagers told their children a mzungu (white person) would take them away if they behaved badly! Ha ha, the poor kid. Yet, towards the end of my stay in the village I could count on the company of at least 20 local kids when I went on my afternoon jog.

Well, today I feel blessed. Blessed at the moment when an advert surreptitiously appeared on my computer screen with the caption Volunteer Abroad ... I didn't hesitate more than a few seconds before clicking on the words. Bingo! A program where you can offer your time, enthusiasm (and skills) to effect positive change in a community, including Tanzania. My mind has been at full tilt ever since formulating a plan to get myself and my family involved. It has been a burst of excitement in my day and there is an overwhelming feeling in my heart that this could be the sort of opportunity to ease the pain.

Making a difference sounds so inviting ... "as simple as sharing love and affection with orphans, playing team-building sports with at-risk youth, sharing stories and photos with the elderly in a community, or practicing conversational English with adults seeking new career opportunities." Yes, this is what I have been looking for and to include my family would be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment