Enjoying today, reflecting on yesterday and dreaming of tomorrow ...

Monday, December 14, 2009

Memories of Christmas

The joy of Christmas is upon us it seems; although most of us are still wondering how it came along so soon ...

This year, my two girls are VERY interested in the whole Christmas thing! There is so much to absorb: Santa, Jesus, carols and hymns, the giving and receiving of presents, the needy and poor, gratefulness and greed, the presence and absence of family and friends. And, it is the first year they are concerned we are not going to be home on Christmas Day.

I've been excited at the prospect of seeing my family during the Christmas holidays. It has been a long time since I've seen them all; perhaps Ziggy's funeral, nearly 11 months ago, was the last time. I imagine there has been many changes since then ...

Our last Christmas was spent in Adelaide. Michael's family were still in the grips of dealing with the loss of Rod, his father. Tensions were high and it was impossible to hide from the friction. Our visit was the continuation of a near six month emotional roller coaster ride and we were desperate to remain "in the middle", taking no-one's side.


At the Christmas before last, there was another family reeling from the loss of one of its members. It was my family, grieving at the loss of my Grandma. Instead of going to Adelaide, as planned, we went to Perth to be with my family. My Mother and I were both living day by day at the time; hence, the idea of planning and cooking for Christmas Day was too overwhelming and the large family gathering was cancelled. In hindsight, instead of shutting everyone else out in order to cope, we should have reached out for assistance.


Once again, my family will be mourning the loss of another member that will not be joining us for Christmas this year. However, there is also cause for celebration as we have two new additions to the family circle, the return of a much loved member from London, as well as the third get-together of my Grandma's family members. Thus, I hope we can all pull together this time and offer each other support, love and joy. ❤❤❤


Well, it is time for my apple pies to come out of the oven! Mmmmm, a very familiar smell of Christmas ... pies. Ahhhh, the memories of Christmas.

P.S. Don't worry girls, Santa always seems to find us -- wherever we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment