Enjoying today, reflecting on yesterday and dreaming of tomorrow ...

Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Source of Inspiration

I have just been privileged to watch a wonderful exchange of human kindness and honesty displayed on my home television screen ...

The Secret Millionaire program took multi-millionaire, Peter Bond, to live for a week in Redfern, an underprivileged suburb of Sydney. There he volunteers his time in community centres and hangs out with community characters. He learns that a place so badly represented in the media, where job prospects are dim and families struggle to survive intact, has an amazing spirit which comes from within. The generous and welcoming spirit of the people he meets is inspirational, and I am particularly struck by the support programs on offer at the community centres. There is much to be learned from this experience. So not only did Peter himself feel humbled by the kindness and generosity of Redfern, but my heart and soul have been touched also.

As with many of these programs I watch, my mind is racing to determine what I can learn from this experience and how I can pass this on to my family ...

Peter's words are still ringing in my ears: "If we all put in a few hours of volunteer work and contributed a few bucks, then we could make our world a better place. Simple as that."

No comments:

Post a Comment